Saturday, January 18, 2014

Race Report: IceBreaker 10k

For the first time in my running career, I ran a race two years in a row. My first 10k ever was the Icebreaker 10k in 2013. I ran it again today. Today I ran with my friend Robin, met a new friend along the way and reconnected with another friend.

This course has a nasty hill that starts at mile 2 and stretches most of that mile. But then its all downhill from there. I went out at a decent pace and was pleased with things until I hit that darned hill! My calves were really tight and I was consistent, but I was slow.

After that, I war practically on cruise control. The last 3 miles felt fine, good even! I finished in 1:25:38 and although it wasn't as fast as last year, I felt way stronger and faster. I walked less and I grumbled less.

I know that I can run faster/more consistently, but my problem is my mid-week runs. I'm just not getting them in. This week won't be such a problem as I'm not working. I've also been toying with a half-marathon in March, and I'm pretty sure I talked some friends into doing it as well. CrossFit Endurance is really helping (even though someone on there scheduled a 12 mile run for this weekend) I know that there speed work and intervals will help as well. A great start to my running year!

January Total to Date: 29 miles

P.S. This completed my 26.2 Resolution Run as well, but I'll blog separately about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment