Sunday, January 5, 2014

Paleo and Parenting

I wanted to take a little time to address how my new way of eating is working with my family. My husband is hanging in there and I think, at least, enjoying the food. My kids usually eat whatever we put in front of them. That being said, they are 3 and 5, so they have their moments. I have found a few ways to make their favorite meals friendly to my plans. For example: My kids demolish tacos. So when we have tacos, they can have their shells and I'll have a taco salad, with no cheese.

I have some read some fantastic books on paleo for kids. They are filled with simple ideas, a lot of great paleo snacks and some encouragement. My children are not on any kind of diet, they are not limited in their food choices (within reason) and they can eat as much as is healthy. They still have bread, milk, pasta, etc. But we do make some minor adjustments. As far as pasta, I serve them veggie pasta. They love it! We do organic milk, fruits, veggies (Declan just inhales tomatoes) and they get a well balanced meal. When they are at school or day care they are still getting a well balanced meal and they are perfectly healthy.

I'm doing this for me AND for them. I want them to understand that you have to think about what you put in your body. They have great examples of physical fitness, and now they need to have examples of healthy eating. As parents we have the best opportunity to be an example, and I fully intend to do so. (And to use that as a not-so-gentle reminder on those tough days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment