Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Whole 30 Journey

Today is Day 0, tomorrow I start on 30 days of a new way of looking at food. Here’s the basic of what the Whole 30 entails.

I will eat:
  • Meat, seafood
  • Eggs
  • Vegetables, some fruits
  • Good fats: oils, nuts, fruits, seeds

I will NOT eat:
  • Sugar – real or artificial
  • Alcohol
  • Grains
  • Legumes (yes, this includes peanut butter)
  • Dairy
  • Carrageenan, MSG, or sulfites
  • “fake” desserts – ie Paleo cupcakes

The few exceptions to this rule:
·         Clarified butter or ghee
·         Fruit juice as a sweetener
·         Certain legumes (green beans, snap peas, snow peas are ok)
·         Vinegar
·         Salt

So, I will eat the things that are allowed and not stress over the things I can’t eat. I will not cheat. I will make food as interesting and fun as possible and I will start viewing it as fuel and release its psychological hold over me.

Yes, my family is doing this with me. The kids, of course, will still have dairy and grains. But desserts are gone from the house. There is nothing bad or dangerous about this, so there is no reason they can’t participate.

So, why am I telling you? Because this is important to me. Very important. So please do not:
  1.  Try to convince me this is not what I should be doing. I’m intelligent enough to do my research.
  2. Offer me things you flat out know I can’t have. Like birthday cake. Or a bagel.
  3. Let me eat things I cannot. If, in a moment of weakness, reach for something I should not eat, be a good friend and slap me. Throw it away. Save me from myself.


This is my plan for the next 30 days. January 2nd through January 31st. They keep telling me this is not hard. That having my coffee without creamer isn’t hard. That if I could handle childbirth, multiple deployments, several moves, and finishing a Spartan Race, I can handle this. I can handle this! Who knows, I may even like it….

No comments:

Post a Comment