Saturday, May 23, 2015

Zoo Trip!

We've been members of the Reid Park Zoo since we moved to AZ in late 2012. We love it. Its small and perfect for kids. You can walk the whole thing and see every single animal in less than 3 hours. Its great as a morning trip or an all day event. Bonus? There is a Chick Fil-A two blocks away. On this Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, the kids and I loaded up and headed to the Zoo.

We wandered about for an hour or so, watching the bear stretch, enjoying the crazy sound of monkeys, and having snacks. After a few (hundred) times of asking, "Can we go play in the water now?" I gave in and sent them off to play. We've passed the splash park every time and are usually unprepared for it, or its February. Today I dressed them in their swimsuits and promised it would be our last stop, save for the otters.

The played (the kids and the otters, separately) for at least 30 minutes. I sat near by people watching. I felt bad for all the kids who wanted to play and whose parents didn't want to let them. I thought about the times I had to tell my kids no and vowed that we would not do that again. If it was warm enough, they could wear their suits. If it wasn't, they'd figure it out. It's Arizona, things dry in 30 seconds.
When Abigail couldn't stop shivering, they put on their socks and shoes and then watched the otters play in the water. By the time we got to the car, they were dry. A quick trip to Chick Fil-A and then an almost quiet trip home listening to How to Train Your Dragon, Book 3.

Does life get more perfect than a day with the kids?

If it does, I haven't found out how yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment