Monday, May 4, 2015

It's the Small Things


Friday Night
I had all kinds of plans for Friday night. I worked all week and put off nearly everything that should get done. I rented a movie for the kids and planned to catch up on laundry and cleaning while they watched. The first plan failed. By the time we got home and got the pizza in the oven, it was 5:45. Everyone was tired, there had been tears on the ride home, it was a long week. So, we all changed into our pajamas, and settled down to watch Paddington together. I'm so glad.

My kids have a habit of talking during movies. It drives me insane. But, some of their questions were well founded and really needed an answer. Especially when Declan asked if parents really sent their kids away during the war. Um, oh boy. Yes, I explained to him that parents sent their children away to protect them. And yes, it was scary for the kids and the parents. And yes, they tried to find them afterwards. And yes, I was really glad we don't have to do that right now. And yes, I would always go find them. What a hard conversation to have with a 6 year old! So after lots of snuggles, some great pizza, and half of the movie, they went to bed. Cue my evening plans.

Yeah, I ditched those too. I sat on the couch and washed a few episodes of my latest guilty pleasure, Gossip Girl, thanked my lucky stars I never had to play that dating game and then went to bed, at 9:30pm. Hey, it was a busy week. My ridiculous over-planning can wait until Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment